If you witness police violence or misbehaviour:
- Take photographs, a note of what’s happened and officer’s police number (it’s on their shoulder badge).
- Contact our legal team after the event with your information, at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re arrested:
- Stay calm.
- Tell someone in high-vis if you can; they’ll be watching the police and will record your arrest.
- You have a right to have someone informed of your arrest. We recommend you use UMSU arresters support on 07564 696 895, and we’ll keep track of where you are and arrange support after your release.
- You also have a right to legal advice. We recommend you use Bindman’s Solicitors on 0207 883 4433.
At the police station:
- You have the right to remain silent. We strongly advise that you answer “NO COMMENT” to all police questions before you have consulted legal advice.
- If you do talk, talk only about your own actions, not others.
- When you are released, please ring UMSU arrestee support so we can keep track of you and offer you support.
There will be a debrief and legal support meeting at 2pm the day after the action in the Student Activities Centre (top floor) Students’ Union. Please come if you are arrested or you experience or witness police violence.
For press enquiries, please contact 07787 422 429.
Good luck today.